Home > search, social media > My Boss Read My Blog Plus 4 Other Reasons to Care About Your Personal Online Reputation

I just recently found out that my boss isn’t as square as I thought. He’s been using the Internet to find things and research people. Maybe he is reading this right now…

There are a million reasons to care about what you say and what is said about you online. Savvy marketers have known this for a long time and have used online sources to establish credibility and pimp their businesses.

Here are a few other thoughts on managing your personal online reputation:Photo from MySpace

1. Potential employers can search for you online. You don’t want them to read your blog rants or see that awesome photo of you on MySpace with a giant beer while playing drinking Jenga.

2. Competitors. There’s only one first place. Personal business or trade secrets posted online can be easily found, leveraged, used against you. So please don’t brag about your new secret product in your “working on” status on Linkedin. Many people Twitter about who they meet with, what they talk about, and how cool it is. It’s easy to monitor the competition when they hand it over to you in your RSS feed.

3. Distant relatives once found my resume on Google and proceeded to send me “hilarious” email forwards. There was no way out. Since I opted-out of their BBQs, I was eventually phased off the list, but don’t let this happen to you!

4. General embarrassments and wacky misunderstandings often occur when you put it all out there. Remember, I can see what you write, we’re “friends”.

With the amazing impact of social media, it’s more important than ever to consider who can find the personal information and photos you post online.

And remember your boss reads your blog. Don’t call him a square.

Advertisements
  1. szielie
    June 6, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Hi Blogmate. You are completely correct. After you brought this up I Googled myself and saw some super teenage stuff that I probably want to take down. That being said, the Internet is not only my job, it’s a part of my life. I don’t want to censor myself completely, but I do realize the merits of toning it down a bit.

Hi boss!

2. June 6, 2008 at 3:38 pm

That’s good to hear. I don’t mean complete censorship, its just that sometimes people get too crazy with TMI. Or really loose with details on proprietary information or development projects they are working on.

I’m glad we could have this talk. On the Internet.

Hi boss.

3. June 6, 2008 at 4:30 pm

ahah this is so true.

I make sure to dominate my name.

When new hires found out that I have been digging around on the internet for their name they are shocked. Then teach them how to protect them self.

I always start my search at:

1.Google their name
    2.Go to flikr and search
    3.Go to myspace

I have found some funny shit in my day!

4. erintothemax
    June 6, 2008 at 5:04 pm

I agree as this pertains to 99% of the job-seeking population, but remember Diablo Cody. Letting it all hang out online can be very profitable if your ultimate goal is to let it all hang out …

5. June 6, 2008 at 5:12 pm

I think this is a great recent article on monitoring buzz (what if they buzz about you?)

6. Tom Johnson
    June 8, 2008 at 11:12 am

You think I’m square?!. I’m crushed.

7. Tom
    June 12, 2008 at 7:16 am

that’s it. i’m going to google each and every one of you right now. and maybe myself while i am at it.

1. No trackbacks yet.