Home > Video > Web and TV Convergence.

Web and TV Convergence.

As Lisa pointed out in a previous post, online video usage is exploding, and we aren’t talking just YouTube. According to a Horowitz Associates report outlined here, 16% of adults with broadband access watch full episodes of TV online. Personally, I’m a big fan of this because I am without a DVR, but I do have a serious addiction to many network shows such as Heroes, Prison Break, and Grey’s Anatomy. As an Interactive Media Planner/Buyer, I find this advertising opportunity very attractive due to the high impact placements and the ownership opportunities which typically include a few mid-roll placements that I have seen to be not just video, but also interactive units.

This week, Adotas published an interesting article about the merging of the Internet and TV. The author, Peter Koeppel, thinks this is inevitable due to increase of media consumption multi-tasking and how far quality content online has come. This sounds super cool to me as a consumer. My two favorite things – TV and the Internet – become one? A match truly made in heaven. Some of this convergence has already started with the XBox Live, Apple TV and other products. Long before was Web TV, concepted in the mid 1990s as a component which basically allowed for using the TV as a monitor and a remote as a mouse. I remember seeing ads for this in high school, thinking it was really cool but maybe ahead of the times for a mass audience. Or maybe I just wish I would have thought that. In doing some searching, I found that Microsoft purchased this and is still trying to improve upon the original concept with MSN TV 2.

Later this week, MediaPost published an article about TV buying taking a cue from online advertising networks utilizing the long tail of the web to deliver aggregated reach of a particular audience. It’s no surprise that Google was the first to roll this out with Google TV Ads, taking a cue from their Adwords product.

My geeky excitement of what will happen next with this is right up there with what will happen with behavioral targeting in 2008. Professionally it will create another media buying challenge, which I am totally up for. Personally, I just want to watch my Heroes and Instant Message my buddies about how cute Peter Pitrelli is or what power we would want if we could choose without having to start up my computer.

Advertisements
  1. szielie
    January 25, 2008 at 5:26 pm

I hit publish and open up my email to yet another article about the study!

2. Lisa R
    January 25, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Sitting on the couch, watching YouTube videos can become a family past time.

3. January 25, 2008 at 5:48 pm

I think we should start by being a little sharper about what we mean when we say “Television”. Because I think “Television” as it exists today (essentially unchanged from its unveiling shortly after WWII) is fundamentally — totally — lametarded. I mean really, do you like commercials? Do you like the fact that when a movie is shown on TV, they actually cut the content of the movie, both in running time and in format? I think you think the same as me. These things make TV profoundly suck. So I, for one, would hope we NEVER see TV and the Web converge. It would be the technology equivalent of like handing over the control of the U.N. human rights commission to Pol Pot.

That being said, the combination of some form of electronic cinematic experience and the hypertext experience doesn’t have to get destroyed by the puerile schlockiness of Television. The big questions is who is doing the convergence? If it’s traditional media, all they know how to do is turn something else into something they already destroyed: the best we could hope for from that camp is Cable TV on Crack, which isn’t what anyone wants.

Consider the makers of You Tube were not TV people. This is why You Tube is a huge hit and WebTV (in whatever form) remains a complete joke and totally irrelevant. Years from now WebTV will at best be relegated to a similar role of the Real player. At worst (and I hope this is the case) it will simply cease to exist.

4. Lisa R
    January 26, 2008 at 4:20 pm

This is why you don’t own a TV, isn’t it? 🙂

Any Web-ish TV technology has to come with a DVR or other specialty features to allow customization of the viewer’s experience. The TV watching of the past was a passive–now it’s more active.

I think the web element will give people more options allowing “efficient TV viewing” where people will watch the exact content they want at the exact time they want.

This is demonstrated in the YouTube content model because it also allows this efficient viewing. (Although you don’t escape from advertising there either!)

Good stuff!

5. Chad
    December 23, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Im actually looking for related info. I’m Glad I found this site.

1. November 16, 2008 at 11:44 am